Thursday, January 29, 2009

25 Random Things About Me / 25 Cosas al azar sobre mí

1. I didn't want to be a mother, but I've gotten better at it.
2. I love my work, but suspect that it is used in ways that are not necessarily in the best interests of the country in which I live.
3. Some languages are better for expressing certain concepts than others.
4. Within the past year I've learned not to have expectations; just to let things unfold, but sometimes I still have some trouble letting the universe have its way.
5. I live in a country where I will always be a foreigner.
6. My worst fear is that of my children being kidnapped.
7. I feel best about myself when engaged in some kind of physical activity.
8. I am amazed that I exist at all.
9. I painted my living room red, and it makes me happy.
10. The first thing I did after my separation was get new lighting fixtures.
11. After watching a Discovery channel program on parents who killed their infants and passed off the deaths as sudden infant death syndrome, it dawned on me that if I had known how easy it was to smother an infant, I might have done so too… which made me realize just how depressed I actually was.
12. I think I've let people down by not accomplishing more in life, but I'm starting to not care.
13. I don't smoke but I like secondhand smoke, especially pipes and cigars.
14. I lament the disappearance of spumoni ice cream.
15. I accidentally ended up at a writers' workshop last year, at which the main advice to the writers was to ask themselves the question: What does this piece of writing have to do with me? Why is it important to me to write this?
16. I've been working on embracing the dark side.
17. My favorite fairy tales were the ones that made me cry (The Steadfast Tin Soldier, The Little Fir Tree)
18. "Marvel the mustang is almost for real, just saddle him up with spurs on your heels."
19. The fields where we played and the pond where we skated are all covered up with houses now.
20. There's no room for a man in my cupboard, though I could probably find room in my drawers.
21. I keep a block of notepaper in the nightstand, and I often wake up and write things down.
22. I dreamt I was a homeless person, and I didn't mind.
23. After breastfeeding two children, my breasts were the size and shape of a pair of testicles. Getting implants was one of the best things I ever did for myself.
24. What do you know that you're not admitting to yourself?
25. I can’t be bothered with most Facebook apps, unless they are useful to me on a personal or practical level, and this one is.


25 Cosas al azar sobre mí

1. No quise ser madre, pero he ido mejorando en el papel.
2. Adoro mi trabajo, pero sospecho que está utilizado en formas que no necesariamente son en los mejores intereses del país en donde vivo.
3. Algunos idiomas son más propicios para expresar ciertos conceptos que otros.
4. En el último año ha aprendido no tener expectativas; para dejar que las cosas toman su rumbo, pero todavía tengo algunas dificultades en dejar que el universo haga la suya.
5. Vivo en un país donde siempre seré extranjera.
6. Mi temor más grande es que mis hijos podrían estar secuestrados.
7. Siento mejor conmigo mismo cuando estoy en alguna actividad física.
8. El hecho que existo me asombra.
9. Pinté la sala roja, y el color me hace feliz.
10. La primera cosa que hice después de separarme fue comprar luces para la casa.
11. Después de ver un programa en el canal Discovery sobre papás quienes matan y sus bebés y presentan las muertes como casos de muerte súbita, se me ocurrió que de haber sabido que era así de fácil sofocar un bebé, tal vez hubiera hecho lo mismo... lo que me hizo caer en cuenta de la magnitud de la depresión que sufrí.
12. Siento que defraudé ciertas personas porque no hice mayores cosas con mi vida, pero ya no me importa tanto.
13. No fumo pero me gusta el olor a humo, especialmente pipas y cigarros.
14. Lamento la desaparición del helado spumoni.
15. El año pasado, por casualidad me encontré en un taller para escritores, en el cual el consejo principal fue de preguntarse: Este escrito que estoy produciendo, qué tiene que ver conmigo? Porqué es importante para mí?
16. Me estoy reconciliando con el lado oscuro.
17. Mis cuentos de hadas preferidos fueron los que me hicieron llorar (El soldadito de plomo, El pequeño árbol navideño).
18. "Marvel el caballo es casi de verdad, coloca la silla y las espuelas." Fue un juguete que tuve de niña.
19. Los campos donde jugamos y el pozo donde patinamos están tapados de casas hoy en día.
20. No hay espacio para un hombre en mi closet, aunque hay espacio en mis cajones. (En inglés la palabra cajones es sinónimo de calzoncillos.)
21. Guardo un bloque de papel en la mesa de noche, y con frecuencia me despierto para anotar cosas.
22. Soñé que vivía en la calle, y no me importaba.
23. Después de dar pecho a dos hijos, mis pechos quedaron del tamaño y de la forma de un par de testículos. Conseguir implantes fue de las mejores cosas que hice para mí.
24. Qué es lo que sabes que no se está admitiendo?
25. La mayoría de la aplicaciones en Facebook me parece un despilfarro de tiempo, al menos que sea útil para mí al nivel personal o práctico, como ésta.

No comments: