Monday, April 6, 2009

Weekend's Fun / Fin de semana de diversiones

Véase la versión en español en la parte inferior de la página.
Since this past Friday night, the kids have been with José Miguel for Easter Week. They have two weeks off school for the Easter holidays, and they will be with me the second week. I must admit, I had a fun weekend on my own.

Friday night
Lori and I made a plan to have massages and then go out for a glass of wine on Friday evening. In the afternoon she called me with an addendum to the plan: an invitation to a friend's house for a party. Perfect, I was up for it. We went to her gym for the massages. Usually I come out of a massage relaxed, but this one made me feel completely energized and I was ready to dance.

We headed out to the party around eight. That is early, but we arrived according to Canadian logic, since the party was being hosted by a Canadian couple. It was at a very nice place in Santa Ana. Susan is an oil company executive. It was a catered affair with a live band. There was abundant food and drink. I danced my ass off. I love dancing, and people are always surprised to see a foreigner who really knows how to dance salsa. I met a new friend, Yomary, who is around my age and she was also looking for a wingwoman to hit the clubs with, which is exactly what I need too. I finally met Pierre; we have a couple of friends in common but had never met.

Lori and I left around 2:00. We took a taxi and I dropped her off on the way home. Saturday morning I felt surprisingly good, despite the copious quantities of white wine consumed. It was good wine, and that really does make a difference. My feet, however, were still killing me. I have a love-hate relationship with heels; they look good and I can even move gracefully in them, but damn they are hard on the feet.

Despite having been out until 2:30 in the morning, I was up at 6:00 as usual. And not only was I up, I was working: I had to translate the previous night's newscast. I managed to get through it, even if my brain did feel a bit sluggish.

Late morning, I headed out to take Sally's copy of The Book of Salt to Maria José, Majo. I called Majo, WHO NEVER HEARS HER CELLPHONE RINGING, as I was heading up the street to her house. Since she didn't answer I called Tony, her husband. There were out running an errand, so we arranged to meet at the Diletto café, right beside Authors bookstore on Calle 70. It was a warm afternoon, and I was still pretty dehydrated from the previous night's fun. So I ordered an iced coffee and settled down to wait.
Tony and Majo did not take long to arrive. We had a table on the terrace and they both ordered a beer. A friend of theirs was passing by. Julio is a fellow translator-artist colleague, and he came in to join us too. They ordered another round and, what the heck, I had a beer too. It was one of those perfect, warm, sunny afternoons, when everything in the world just feels right. I was impressed at the number of people that Tony and Majo knew who were going into Authors that day. They introduced me to several of them, including bookstore owner Steve. We had several beers and then decided to go get some lunch, as the afternoon was wearing on.

We went up the street to their apartment. Tony made fusilli pasta served with squids in their ink, and yellow zucchini, washed down with several more beers. Looking over the CD collection, I was amazed and astounded to see that they are Kate Bush fans. We put the music on, we sang, insofar as it is possible to sing along with KB. We talked, we drank. I would be hard pressed to remember much of the conversation, but I had an excellent time. It was a happy place to be. Around nine I figured that a coffee might make a nice change after all the beer. We had coffee, and then they gave me a lift home. Tony did the driving. His blood alcohol ratio was considerably healthier than Majo's or mine. I got home at 10:30.

Amazingly enough I still didn't have a hangover. I got up at a reasonable hour, and headed out on my bike to go to the Carrefour grocery store, because I needed pizza dough and a few other things. In the afternoon I was going to go see the Swiss film Die Herbstzeitlosen (Late Bloomers) at the Eurocine film festival with Lori and Alexandra, but I had to finish a translation.
I finished the translation. (I had picked up the papers yesterday, and had carried them around with me all day in my big purse, and they got a bit wrinkled. I had to iron the originals before giving them back to the client.) Then I went out to meet up with Lori and Alex at the Juan Valdez Café on Calle 73. I love the great big terrace they have there, and I adore the JV granizado de café, a coffee slushy. We went out to dinner at Crepes and Waffles. Then Alex dropped Lori and I off at the new Surtifruver produce store on Calle 85, where we bought cheese fondue and Babybel cheese on sale, plus I got some bagels. This place was quite a find. We caught a taxi and I dropped off Lori at her place --she donated her guest room pillows to me, my bed now being short a number of pillows since the fire. And then I came back home.

I had a great weekend.

Fin de semana de diversions

Desde el pasado viernes por la noche, los chicos han estado con José Miguel por la Semana Santa. Tienen dos semanas de vacaciones escolares para la Semana Santa, y estarán conmigo la segunda semana. Debo admitir que tuve un fin de semana divertido.

Viernes por la noche
Lori y yo hicimos un plan para mandarnos hacer masajes, y luego salir a tomar una copa de vino el viernes por la noche. Por la tarde ella me llamó con una adición al plan: una invitación a la casa de unos amigos para una fiesta. Perfecto, yo era lista y dispuesta para una fiesta. Fuimos al gimnasio de Lori para los masajes. Por lo general, salgo de un masaje relajada, pero este masaje me hizo sentir energizada y estuve lista para bailar.

Nos dirigimos a la fiesta hacía las ocho. Era temprano, pero llegamos a la hora canadiense, la fiesta siendo organizada por una pareja de canadienses. Era en una casa muy bonita en Santa Ana. Susan es ejecutiva de una empresa petrolera. Había una banda en vivo, y abundante comida y bebida. Bailé hasta que no pude más. Me encanta bailar, y la gente siempre se sorprende al ver a una extranjera que realmente sabe bailar salsa. Conocí una nueva amiga, Yomary, quien es cercana a mi edad y también buscaba con quien salir a bailar, que es justamente lo que yo necesito también. Finalmente conocí a Pierre; tenemos un par de amigos en común, pero nunca nos conocimos

Lori y yo salimos de al fiesta alrededor de las 2:00. Tomamos un taxi, y la dejé en su apartamento, camino a casa. Sábado por la mañana me sentí sorprendentemente buena, a pesar de la cantidad de vino blanco que consumí. Era un vino bueno, lo que realmente marca una diferencia en términos de guayabo. Mis pies, sin embargo, todavía me dolían. Tengo una relación de amor y odio con los tacones: se ven muy bien y hasta puedo mover bien en ellos, pero carajo me maltratan los pies.

A pesar de haber llegado sobre 2:30 de la mañana, me desperté a las 6:00 como siempre. No sólo estuve levantada, sino trabajando: tuve que traducir el noticiero de la noche anterior. Le logré, mismo si mi cerebro sentía algo lento.

Al final de la mañana, salí para llevar la copia de The Book of Salt a María José, Majo. Llamé a Majo, QUIEN NUNCA ESCUCHA SU CELULAR, mientras subía por la calle hacía su casa. Como ella no contestó, llamé a Tony, su marido. Estaban haciendo unas vueltas, entonces quedamos en reunirnos en el café Diletto, junto a la librería Authors en la Calle 70. Era una tarde calurosa, y todavía estuve deshidratada por parranda de la noche anterior. Entonces, pedí un café helado y me instalé a esperar.
Tony y Majo no tardaron en llegar. Tuvimos una mesa en la terraza, y que ambos pidieron cervezas. Un amigo suyo se pasaba por la calle. Julio es colega traductor y artista, y entró a acompañarnos también. Pidieron otra ronda y pensé, ¿qué carajo, también voy a tomar una cerveza. Fue una tarde perfecta, calientica, asoleada, que hace sentir que el mundo está en su rumbo. Estuve impresionado por el número de personas que Tony y Majo conocían quienes entraron a Authors de ese día. Me presentaron varias, incluyendo Steve, el dueño de la librería. Tomamos varias cervezas, y luego decidimos ir a buscar algo para almorzar, ya que se estaba haciendo tarde.

Fuimos al apartamento. Tony hizo una pasta fusilli con calamares en su tinta, y calabacín amarillo, y seguimos con la cervezas. Mirando su colección de CDs, quedé sorprendida y impresionada al ver que son fanáticos Kate Bush. Ponemos la música, cantamos, en la medida en que es posible para cantar con KB. Hablamos, bebimos. Se me hace difícil recordarme mucho de la conversación, pero pasé muy bien. Fue un día para estar contenta. Alrededor de las nueve, sentí que ya era suficiente cerveza. Tomamos un café, y luego me llevaron a mi casa. Tony condujo. La concentración de alcohol en la sangre era considerablemente más sana que Majo o la mía. Llegué a casa a las 10:30.

Sorprendentemente amanecí sin guayabo. Me levanté a una hora razonable, salí en la bicicleta para ir al supermercado Carrefour, porque yo necesitaba masa para pizza y algunas otras cosas. Por la tarde tenía la intención de ir a ver la película suiza Die Herbstzeitlosen (Las chicas de la lencería) en el festival de cine Eurocine con Lori y Alexandra, pero tenía que terminar una traducción.
Terminé la traducción. (Había recogido los documentos el sábado. Los tenían conmigo todo el día en mi bolso grande, estaban un poco arrugados. Tuve que planchar los originales antes de devolverlos al cliente.) Luego fui a reunirme con Lori y Alex en el Café Juan Valdez en la Calle 73. Me encanta la terraza grande que tiene allí, y me fascina el granizado de café de JV. Salimos a cenar a Crepes y Waffles. Luego Alex dejo a Lori y a mí frente a la nueva tienda Surtifruver en la Calle 85, donde compramos queso para fondue y quesos Babybel que estaban en oferta, y además conseguí bagels. El sitio tiene buen surtido. Cogimos un taxi, y dejé a Lori en su casa- ella me donó un par de almohadas de su cuarto de huéspedes, para reemplazar las que me hacían falta después del incendio. Y luego llegué a casa.

¡Fue un fin de semana muy agradable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was the perfect combination of good company, good food and drink, and pleasant activities. Interesting how it unfolded with the planned activities leading to other spontaneous moments. I guess the stars were lined up properly this past week-end and you were available to look up and see them.