Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Letting the years fall away / Dejando caer los años












Véase la versión en español en la parte inferior de la pagina.
On Saturday, as I sat out on the terrace drinking beers, somehow over twenty years slipped away and I was in my early twenties again, a student at McGill. It was the month of April, the sun has been slowly finding its way back until one day it suddenly bursts upon the world and spring has officially arrived. The steamy picture windows that lead onto restaurant balconies are thrown open, and tables, chairs, and people spill into terraces to bask in the warmth, blinking their eyes in the unaccustomed brightness.

I sit at my table with fellow school friends. We are studying English Literature and we are passionate about our subject. I am drunk on cold beer and the heady exchange of ideas; delight when someone says something insightful, and reveling in glory when I make a compelling point.

No one making demands on my time, there is nowhere I have to be, nowhere I have to go. It is a time to enjoy the moment.

I went back there again this Saturday. I hadn't been there for years. It is a place where I lived and loved, and I missed it. I missed the young woman that I was too. For a while on Saturday, I let those years fall away, and had a beer with an old friend.



Dejando caer los años

El sábado, mientras que estuve sentada en la terraza tomando cerveza, de alguna manera dejé caer más de veinte años y tenía veintipico años de nuevo, siendo un estudiante de McGill. Es el mes de abril, el sol poco a poco venía encontrando su camino de regreso hasta que un día de pronto irrumpió al mundo y la primavera ha llegado oficialmente. Los ventanales grandes empapados de vapor de los restaurantes que dan sobre el exterior están abiertos, y mesas, sillas, y gente derramen en las terrazas a disfrutar del calor, parpadeando sus ojos por estar desacostumbrados al brillo.

Estoy sentada en una mesa con amigos de la escuela. Somos estudiantes de literatura inglés y estamos apasionados por el tema. Estoy borracha de cerveza fría y el intercambio de ideas embriagantes; deleitando cuando alguien dice algo profundo, y revelando en la gloria cuando hago un punto convincente.

Nadie me está pidiendo una rendición de cuentas sobre mi tiempo, no tengo que estar en ningún lado, no tengo que ir a ningún lado. Es un tiempo para disfrutar del momento.

Volví a este lugar el sábado. Hace años no le visitaba. Es un lugar que viví, amé, y me le perdí. Me hace falta la joven que era. Por un rato el sábado, deje caer los años, y tomé una cerveza con una vieja amiga.




Great Big Sea. Consequence Free

Wouldn't it be great, if no one ever got offended
Wouldn't it be great to say what's really on your mind
I have always said 'all the rules are made for bending'
And if I let my hair down, would that be such a crime?

[Chorus]
I wanna be consequence free
I wanna be where nothing needs to matter
I wanna be consequence free
just sing Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na

I could really use, to lose my Catholic conscience
Cuz I'm getting sick of feeling guilty all the time
I won't abuse it, Yeah I've got the best intentions
For a little bit of anarchy but not the hurting kind

[Chorus]

I couldn't sleep at all last night
cause I had so much on my mind
I'd like to leave it all behind,
but you know it's not that easy

[Chorus]

Wouldn't it be great, if the band just never ended
We could stay out late and we would never hear last call
We wouldn't need to worry about approval or permission,
we could - slip off the edge and never worry about the fall

[Chorus]

No comments: