Friday, April 24, 2009

The Healing Power of Salt / El poder curativo de la sal

Para la versión en español, véase la parte inferior de la página.

My fleur de sel ran out the other day. I used the fleur de sel sparingly. It came from Guérande, on the coast of Brittany. Fleur de sel is the top layer of the purist salt, harvested from the local salt marshes. It is prized by cooks and connoisseurs. I used it only on salads, condimented simply with olive oil and salt.

But like all good things the package finally ran out. Local salt producer Refisal is producing a premium line of salt crystals. Refisal is mainly a rock salt producer but they also have a plant on the Atlantic coast, so maybe it is sea salt. I'll have to try their new line, but I am sure that it will not be the same.

My fleur de sel was more than just a condiment, it was a moment in my life. It was tears and comfort, and the healing power of salt.

Small wounds can be treated with sweet, some chocolate or ice cream will usually do the trick. Serious wounds need to be treated with salt. The body and the soul need to be renourished, replenished, and made whole again.

My friend Gaby gave me the comfort and the salt. Every time I used the salt it reminded me that there are people are I can turn to when I need a helping hand. Gaby helped me; a lot of people helped me through that rough time. They are my salt.

El poder curativo de la sal

Mi flor de sal se acabó el otro día. Utilicé la flor de sal con moderación. Venía de Guérande, en la costa de Bretaña. Flor de sal es la capa superior de la sal más pura, extraído de las marismas locales de aguas saladas. Es apreciada por los chefs y conocedores. La utilicé únicamente en las ensaladas, condimentadas sencillamente con aceite de oliva y sal.

Pero como toda cosa buena, el paquete finalmente se agotó. Productor local de sal Refisal está produciendo una línea nueva de cristales de sal gourmet. Refisal es principalmente un productor de sal de roca, pero también tiene una planta en la costa atlántica, por lo que quizá es sal marina. Tendré que probar la nueva línea, pero estoy segura de que no será la misma.

Mi flor de sal era más que un condimento, era un momento en mi vida. Era lágrimas y consuelo, y el poder curativo de la sal.

Pequeñas heridas se pueden tratar con dulce, basta con un poco de chocolate o helado. Heridas graves deben ser tratadas con sal. El cuerpo y el alma necesitan ser nutridos, repuestos, y devueltos a su integridad.

Mi amiga Gaby me dio consuelo y sal. Cada vez que utilizaba la sal me acordé que existen personas a quienes puedo recorrer cuando necesito una mano. Gaby me ayudó; muchas personas me ayudaron en ese momento difícil. Ellos son mi sal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please tell William that I like his ink painting very much. I stared at it for a long time and enjoyed the texture and colors that jumped out from my usually dull computer screen.


Sharon