Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Dream of the Soldier / El Sueño del Soldado

Véase la versión en español en la parte inferior de la página.
The Dream of the Soldier
I dreamed I was at the house of a man who had been my friend for years. He was a soldier who was going to war and his family was there saying goodbye. I didn't want him to leave without telling him how important was he was to me, even though I knew it wouldn't change anything; he would leave anyway. So I told him that I had always loved him and I asked him to give me something to remember him by. He led me into another room and from a drawer he took out a card. There was a recent picture of him inside. There was writing on the card, and I don't remember what it said, but what struck me was that he had written my name, Leslie, all over the card, in different kinds of handwriting, from a child's awkward printing to fine script, as if he had been writing my name there for many years. Then he kissed me and left. I didn't know if I would see him again. But he left knowing that I loved him, I knew that he felt the same way about me. He always had.

Weekend Away
The boys and I went to a friend's cottage in Guaduas (Cundinamarca) for the weekend. I meant to bring these friends some rhubarb for their garden, but we left in a hurry to catch the bus on Saturday morning and I didn't have time to dig the rhubarb up. On Sunday Matt and I went on a hike to the Piedra del Capiro lookout, where apparently you can look down from the ridge of the Guaduas Valley into the Magdalena Valley, and see the Magdalena River stretching out below you, with the Nevado del Ruiz and Nevado del Tolima in the distance. It was a three-hour hike from Guaduas. When we got to the lookout, there was a dense fog all around and we couldn't see anything.

System Restore
On Friday I opened an email, ostensibly from my cellphone service provider, and the AVG antivirus program warned me that it contained a Trojan virus. I selected the Heal option, but just to be on the safe side, today I did a system restore to reset my computer to the way it had been on Thursday.

What would life be like if you could do a system restore? If you could undo the stupid things that you have done?


El sueño del soldado
Soñé que estuve en la casa de un hombre que había sido mi amigo durante años. Era un soldado quien iba a la guerra y su familia estaba allí diciendo adiós. Yo no quería que se fuera sin decirle lo que sentía por él, aunque sabía que no cambiaría nada, él iría de todas formas. Así que le dije que siempre le quería, y le pedí que me diera algo para recordarle. Él me llevó a otra habitación y sacó una tarjeta de un cajón. Contenía una foto reciente de él. Había algo impreso en la tarjeta, y no recuerdo lo que decía, pero lo que me impactó fue él había escrito mi nombre, Leslie, en todas partes en la tarjeta, en diferentes tipos de escritura, desde la letra de un niño hasta caligrafía fina, como si hubiera escrito mi nombre allí durante el transcurso de muchos años. Después me besó y se fue. No sabía si iba verlo de nuevo. Sin embargo, se fue sabiendo que yo lo amaba, sabía que él sentía lo mismo por mí. Siempre le sentía.

Fin de semana de paseo
Este fin de semana los niños y yo fuimos a la finca de unos amigos en Guaduas (Cundinamarca). Tuve la intención de llevarles ruibarbo para su jardín, pero salimos de afán para coger la flota el sábado por la mañana, y no tuve tiempo para sacar el ruibarbo. El domingo, Mateo y yo hicimos una caminata al mirador de la Piedra del Capiro, en el filo de la Valle de Guaduas, donde se puede ver el Valle de La Magdalena y el Río Magdalena, con el Nevado del Ruiz y el Nevado del Tolima en la distancia. Era una caminata de unas tres horas de Guaduas. Cuando llegamos al mirador, había una densa niebla por todo lado y no pudimos ver nada.

Restaurar sistema
El viernes abrí un correo electrónico, supuestamente de mi proveedor de servicio de telefonía celular, y el programa antivirus AVG y me advirtió de que contenía un virus troyano. Seleccioné la opción de sanar, pero para estar segura, hoy hice una restauración del sistema para reiniciar mi equipo como era el día jueves.

¿Cómo sería la vida si se podría hacer una restauración del sistema? ¿Si pudiera rehacer las cosas estúpidas que deberían ser deshechas?


So open up your morning light
And say a little prayer for right
You know that if we are to stay alive
And see the peace in every eye

She had two babies
One was six months one was three
In the war of '44
Every telephone ring
Every heartbeat stinging
When she thought it was God calling her
Oh would her son grow to know his father

CHORUS:

I don't want to wait
For our lives to be over
I want to know right now
What will it be
I don't want to wait
For our lives to be over
Will it be yes or will it be
Sorry

He showed up all wet
On the rainy front step
Wearing shrapnel in his skin
And the war he saw
Lives inside him still

It's so hard to be gentle and warm
The years passed by and now
He had granddaughters

Chorus

Oh so you look at me
From across the room
You're wearing your anguish again
Believe me, I know the feeling
It sucks you into the jaws of anger
Oh, so dig a little more deeply,
All we have is the very moment
And I don't want to do what
His father and his father and his father did
I want to be here now

So open up your morning light
And say a little prayer for right
You know that if we are to stay alive
And see the peace in every eye

Chorus (2 times)

So open up your morning light
And say a little prayer for right
You know that if we are to stay alive
And see warmth in every eye

No comments: